Monday, October 28, 2013

identity crisis


Any of you photographers out there ever feel like you are having a photo identity crisis?  Deep down you know your style is always going to come out in your photography, but then you find yourself looking through too many other photographers blogs and all of a sudden you don't know what you like anymore?  One moment you like the clean look of film, and the next minute you start enjoying those VSCO presets and muddy black and whites.  Just when you feel you are into the classy look, you start feeling a little funky and weird and want to, I don't know, throw your subject right in the middle of the frame with a wide angle.  What if you like contrasty photos..... or do you?  This is how I have been feeling lately.  I have been obsessed with photography as of late (good thing since it's my career path and all) so I have been lying awake at night asking myself, WHO AM I?  So what am I doing to deal with this you ask?  I am getting back to the basics, spring cleaning if I may.  I've whipped back out the old 35 mm film camera (I now have a Minolta AND a Mamiya) and I have my eye on a Hasselblad (Christmas 2013 come to mama).  I'm going to try and shoot more and see where my instincts take me.  Here are a few digital images that I shot a few days ago with my friend Andrea.  I am obsessed with this girl.  Her skin is FLAWLESS and the fact that she is a professional ballerina... well.  So anyway, not much has been done to these few photos.  Just a few adjustments in Lightroom.  I can't wait to get the film back and see how my new (old) camera worked.

Also.... do I have a photo blog you ask..... yes.... but I just feel like posting on this one lately.



 ^^^I'm totally mad about that light turning on in the background^^
 ^^^  Seriously, her skin is PERFECTION.  This is not edited at all^^^^




3 comments:

  1. Andrea is a good friend of mine. That's what brought me to your blog. My funny is that I rarely comment on things online, but I really like your stuff and feel like I have something to say that you should hear. I was laughing as I read the bit about choosing a style because I think every artist goes through that process to become who they are artistically.
    Musicians all use the same notes, but they just present them in a different way. The way you present your creativity no matter how it comes out whether that be clean and modern or funky and bizarre, is still your own genuine creativity from within that is presenting itself. I see that in your art. You are the kind of photographer that makes me say, "hmmm...I like the way this girl sees the world."
    If you haven't read it already, you should check out the book "Steal Like An Artist" by Austin Kleon(found at your local Barnes&Nobles). Its just a quick read that gives insight on creating an artistic identity. I think you would enjoy it. I look forward to seeing more of your photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for your comment! I really loved it. I think it's so easy to in this day and age to feel confused with who you are as an artist when looking at other peoples work is just one click away. Often times when I stare at other people work I begin to feel insignificant or "lame" I guess, so your comment was great! Are you a musician? I will have to check out that book. I love reading!

      Delete
    2. It took me a while to realize that I wouldn't be notified if you responded to my comment. I'm not a musician, I'm an "actor"/ wanna be artist. Have you always wanted to be a photographer? How did you come to love photography?

      Delete

What's your funny? Please comment and share a similar funny story... OR just a random funny story. I love them all!